Judges: Dr Angela France, David Clarke, and 2019 competition winner Janet Lees.
The 2020 competition offers two prizes of publication of a 32-page pamphlet for poets who have not previously had a poetry collection published. Each winner will receive 50 free copies of their pamphlet, and marketing support to launch it.
Opening date: 15 October 2019 Closing date: 15 February 2020
- Open to all poets who have not had a pamphlet or collection published by an independent publisher. A self-published pamphlet or collection does not exclude a poet from entering.
- All poems must be entirely the entrant’s own work. Individual poems in an entry may have been published online, in journals or magazines, or multi-author anthologies, provided the writer retains copyright, However, the poems entered must not have been published in a solo collection.
- International entrants are welcome.
- Your entry should contain up to 10 poems of no more than 60 lines each. Each poem should start on a new page. (Please note that the winners will be invited to submit more poems to fill a 32-page pamphlet.)
- You may submit up to three entries, each of 10 poems, provided an entry fee is paid for each.
- Your entry’s title should appear on a separate first page. The title may relate to a key poem or suggest the collection’s theme if it has one.
- To maintain anonymous judging, there must be no identifying marks on any poem or title page.
- Each entry should be attached to your email as one file. Your poems, each on a separate page, must be in one file in Word or Rich Text format.
- Do not put any identification on the work except your payment transaction number. The competition administrator will match your entry title to your email address after the anonymous judging is complete.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but an entry must be withdrawn in the event of it winning a prize or publication elsewhere.. Entry fees are not refundable once an entry has been received.
- Work will not be returned, so please keep a copy.
- We are unable to give feedback on individual entries or on the results of the competition — the judges’ decisions are final.
- Results will be emailed to all contestants by 30 March 2020 and published on this web site and at the 2020 Cheltenham Poetry Festival.
- The fee is £10 per entry.if payment is made by 31 December 2019, under an Early Bard offer. From 1 January 2020, the fee per entry will be £12.
- All entries must be paid for, and entry form and entry file received, by the closing time of 11.59 pm on 15 February 2020.
- Fees must be paid before entries are submitted. Once you have paid the appropriate entry fee, please complete your entry form, noting the title of each pamphlet. You then can click on the link below and attach your entries to an email.
Payment is collected by PayPal on behalf of Cheltenham Poetry Festival.
You do not need a PayPal account to pay by Credit or Debit card.
If you have a PayPal account, you have the additional option of using it to pay.
Your personal data will only be used in connection with the competition
Please start your entry here
Entry fee to Frosted Fire Firsts Pamphlet Competition 2020