Prize of 50 copies of a 32-page pamphlet
plus a publishing contract for the winner
Cheltenham Poetry Festival will also provide marketing support, including a headline poet event for the winning poet.
Judges are Dr Angela France and Neil Richards.
Both will read the long-listed entries to choose the winner. All entries will be read by David Clarke, who will select the long list.
Deadline: 15 February, 2019
- Open to all poets who have not had a pamphlet or collection published by an independent publisher. A self-published pamphlet or collection does not exclude a poet from entering.
- All poems must be entirely the entrant’s own work. Individual poems in an entry may have been published online or in magazines, provided the writer retains copyright, but must not have been published in a collection.
- International entrants are welcome.
- Your entry should contain up to 12 poems of no more than 50 lines each. Each poem should start on a new page. (Please note that the winner will be invited to submit more poems to fill a 32-page pamphlet.)
- You may submit up to three entries of 12 poems, provided an entry fee is paid for each.
- Your entry’s title should appear on a separate first page. The title may relate to a key poem or suggest the collection’s theme if it has one.
- To maintain anonymous judging, there must be no identity marks on any poem or title page.
- Online entries should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your title and poems, each on a separate page, must be in one file in Word or Rich Text format.
- Print entries by post. Send collection title and poems in one envelope. Enclose a smaller envelope containing a cheque payable to “Cheltenham Poetry Festival” or a note of your Ticket Source booking reference.
- Do not put any identification on the work. The administrator will match your entry title to your email address after the anonymous judging is complete.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted, but an entry must be withdrawn in the event of it winning a prize. Entry fees are not refundable once an entry has been received.
- Work will not be returned, so please keep a copy.
- We are unable to give feedback on individual entries or on the results of the competition — the judges’ decisions are final.
- Results (within 2 months approximately) will be emailed or posted to all contestants and published on this Web site and with the 2019 Cheltenham Poetry Festival.
- The fee is £10 per entry. Payment may be made by debit or credit card via Ticket Source, or by cheque if you are mailing your entry. Payment must be made before submitting an entry and the entry is not valid if payment has not been received.
Start your entry by choosing how you pay
You can pay by credit or debit card to get an entry ticket from Ticket Source by clicking on the BOOK NOW symbol.
Next complete the entry form below. You will need to insert the booking reference from your entry ticket.
For postal/print entries only, you may choose to by cheque payable to Cheltenham Poetry Festival.
Next, please complete your entry form
Finally, submit your file or printed pages
Click here to email your submission — with your collection title as the subject line. One email per entry, please, with a single file attached as Word or rich text file
Postal submission.. Send collection title and poems in one envelope. Enclose a smaller, sealed envelope containing a cheque payable to “Cheltenham Poetry Festival” or a note of your Ticket Source booking reference.
If you would nclude postcard/sae if and further sae for results.
Post your entry(ies) to:
Frosted Fire Firsts, 77 Tennyson Road, Cheltenham G51 7DD